How about a splash of RED to brighten up your Wednesday?
I made this capture of a strawberry splashing into a glass of red liquid (simulated strawberry lemonade) by placing a studio flash directly to the right and slightly above the glass of liquid. I fired the camera with one hand while dropping the strawberry with the other. The timing was a bit tricky at first, but after a few attempts it wasn’t too difficult.
– Fill the glass completely to the rim to cause the splash to swell over the top.
– Use barn-doors (or a similar barrier) to block the strobe from lighting the backdrop and/or the lens.
– Use a longer lens (medium telephoto) to get your camera out of the splash zone.
– Use a cable release or remote to fire the camera (while dropping the fruit).
– Use water with food coloring for the liquid (the sugar in real beverages can leave your camera gear a bit ‘sticky’ if it gets splashed).
Here’s another example: